“The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night’s sleep.”
― Matthew Walker, Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
Sleep is becoming an increasingly better understood science, its causal relationship to many modern-day epidemics, is irrefutable. The research is stacking up. We need to have 7-9 hours of sleep a night as a minimum for the brain to detox of its metabolic waste and the body to detoxify. Allowing us to do it all again the next day.
I want to share 8 key factors to getting your good night’s sleep:
1. Your sleeping area should be dark, so no natural/artificial light should creep in, I recommend black out curtains, its messes with your sleep chemistry in the brain. This includes low light from phones, alarms etc.
2. Firm mattress, the hardest you can find, on a Divan solid top (No slats) base set. No memory foam beds, in short, they suck AND ruin your body.
3. Your pillow height needs to be perfect for YOU, we utilize a multi layered pillow that can be adjusted to perfectly fit your needs. Or you can use towels to build up a pillow to the right height for you.
4. DON’T lie on your front because it damages your spine and nervous system in the short and long term. It does not facilitate a deep, restful sleep; back or side are best.
5. No blue light before bed, put the phone down at least 30-60 minutes before you go to bed, the blue light messes with the brain hormones, tricking into thinking its day time.
6. Give your self at least 7-9 hours of sleep per night or be at higher risk of Alzheimer’s and Cancer.
7. If you aren’t tired at night, very often you can add exercise into your routine, it helps to let you unwind.
8. Lastly, reading a book in bed helps to slow the brain and wind it down. Your subconscious will absorb the new information far more successfully.
These points all have a fair amount of detail, individually. We do a FREE Sitting Standing and Sleeping course every 3 weeks at Spirohealth, where we go over many of these topics in a workshop style. It’s fun and interactive.
Implement these and you should see a change in your mood and your energy levels in no time at all.
Be good to yourself and get some rest!
If you liked this or would like me to cover any of these in more detail, contact Spirohealth
Yours in health